- PhD in Critical Cultural Studies, with a Film Studies Certificate (Defense Passed with Distinction, 2015)
University of Pittsburgh, Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences, Department of English/Film Studies Program
Dissertation: “A Hidden Light: Judaism, Contemporary Israeli Film, and the Cinematic Experience”
- Master of Arts (Exams Passed with Distinction, 2012)
University of Pittsburgh, Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences, Department of English/Film Studies Program
- Master of Arts (2007)
New York University, Tisch School of the Arts, Cinema Studies Department
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (Magna Cum Laude, 2005)
Tel Aviv University, Katz Faculty of the Arts, Film and Television Department
Peer-Reviewed Journal Essays
- “Transcendental Style Reconsidered: Absence, Presence, and ‘a Place which Is Not-a-Place,’” in Journal of Film and Video (forthcoming).
- “Israeli Cinema Studies: Mapping Out a Field,” co-authored with Yael Mazor, in Shofar: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Jewish Studies 38.1 (Spring 2020).
- “’The King’s Daughter Is All Glorious Within’: Female Modesty in Judaic-Themed Israeli Cinema,” in Journal of Jewish Identities 9.1 (Spring 2016).
- “‘Strange Times to be a Chicken’: The Meaning of a Metaphor,” in Short Film Studies 6.2 (Spring 2016).
- “‘Lifting the Veil’: Judaic-Themed Israeli Cinema and Spiritual Aesthetics,” in Jewish Film & New Media: An International Journal 3.1 (Spring 2015).
- “Judaic Cinecorporeality: Fleshing Out the Haredi Male Body in Avishai Sivan’s The Wanderer,” in Shofar: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Jewish Studies 33.1 (Fall 2014).
- “‘A Remarkable Adventure’: Martin Luther and the 1950s Spiritual Marketplace,” in Cinema Journal 52.3 (Spring 2013).
- “Introduction: Israeli Cinema beyond the National,” co-authored with Rachel S. Harris, in Casting a Giant Shadow: The Transnational Shaping of Israeli Cinema (Bloomington: Indiana University Press [forthcoming]).
- “‘I Have a Great Passion for Americans’: The Juggler and the Question of National Cinema,” in Casting a Giant Shadow: The Transnational Shaping of Israeli Cinema (Bloomington: Indiana University Press [forthcoming]).
- “Teaching Trauma in (and Out of) Translation: Waltzing with Bashir in English,” co-authored with Alison Patterson, in Media and Translation: An Interdisciplinary Approach (London: Bloomsbury, 2014)
- “Negotiating Judaism in Contemporary Israeli Cinema: The Spiritual Style of My Father, My Lord,” in Israeli Cinema: Identities in Motion (Austin: University of Texas Press, 2011).
- Book Review: “Studying Waltz with Bashir / Giulia Miller,” in Jewish Film & New Media: An International Journal 7.1 (Spring 2019).
- “Afterthoughts on Martin Luther (1953) and Christian American Cinema,” in Flow 17.12 (May 2013).
- Book Review: “Celluloid Sermons: The Emergence of the Christian Film Industry, 1930-1986 / Terry Lindvall and Andrew Quicke,” in Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television 32.4 (December 2012).
- “Mishima” / “The Duellists,” official entries, American Film Institute Catalog, 2011.
- “The Return of the Western,” in Cinematheque 151 (March-April 2008) (in Hebrew).
- “Iwo Jima and the Unbearable Heaviness of Myths,” in Cinematheque 146 (May-June 2007) (in Hebrew).
- The 37th Annual Conference of the Association for Israeli Studies (Urbana-Champaign, June 2021)
Paper topic: “‘Avishai Sivan’s Tikkun (2015) and the Problem of the Miraculous in Judaic-Themed Israeli Cinema”
Roundtable (chair): “Israeli Cinema and Television: Beyond the National”
- The 2021 Society of Cinema and Media Studies Conference (Chicago, Mar. 2021)
Paper topic: “’Signs and Wonders’: Filmed Miracles in Recent Judaic-Themed Israeli Cinema”
- The 27th Annual Conference of the International Association for Media and History (Newcastle upon Tyne, July 2019)
Paper topic: “’Too Much of a Western’: Blazing Sand (1960) and the Benefits of an Israeli Film Scholarship Without Films”
- The 2018 Society of Cinema and Media Studies Conference (Toronto, Mar. 2018)
Paper topic: “Transnationalism in the Time of High Nationalism: Cinema Culture in 1950s Israel”
- The 45th Annual Conference of the Association for Jewish Studies (Washington DC, Dec. 2017)
Paper topic: “In-Between Worlds: Translating Ultra-Orthodoxy into a Secular Idiom in the Cinema of Rama Burshtein”
- Movement as Immobility – A Conference on Film and Christianity (Lisbon, Nov. 2017)
Paper topic: “Revisioning Christian Film Aesthetics in Martin Scorsese’s Silence”
- The 2017 American Comparative Literature Association Annual Meeting (Utrecht, July 2017)
Paper topic: “The Global Mystical: Transcending the ‘Israeli’ in Israeli Cinema”
- The 2017 Society of Cinema and Media Studies Conference (Chicago, Mar. 2017)
Panel topic (co-chair): “Israeli Cinema: Beyond the National”
Paper topic: “Notes toward a Transnational History of Israeli Cinema”
- The 2016 Film & History Conference (Milwaukee, Oct. 2016)
Paper topic: “An Escape from Reality? Hasidic Tales in Israeli Film”
- The 2016 Annual Conference of the Association for Israeli Studies (Yad Ben Tzvi, Israel, June 2016)
Paper topic: “What is an Israeli Film? The Juggler (1953) and the Question of Canonicity”
- Jewish in 3D: Jews and Judaism in Theater, Cinema and Television (The Zalman Shazar Center, Israel, June 2016)
Paper topic: “Who is a Jew? The Challenge of Judaism to Contemporary Israeli Cinema Studies”
- The 2016 Society of Cinema and Media Studies Conference (Atlanta, Mar. 2016)
Panel topic (co-chair): “Rethinking Transcendental Style: New Approaches to Spirituality and Cinematic Form”
Paper topic: “Absence, Presence, Hiddenness: Transcendental Style Reconsidered”
- Film-Philosophy: Prospects, Directions and New Perspectives (Tel Aviv University, Jan. 2016)
Paper topic: “‘A Place which Is Not-A-Place’: Revisiting a Model for Spiritual Film Aesthetics”
- The 2014 Film & History Conference (Madison, Oct. 2014)
Paper topic: “Judaic-Themed Israeli Cinema and the Function of Prayer”
- The 45th Annual Conference of the Association for Jewish Studies (Boston, Dec. 2013)
Paper topic: “Teaching Trauma in (and Out of) Translation: Waltz[ing] with Bashir in English” (presented with Dr. Alison Patterson)
- Secularity and its Discontents: Religious Themes in Israeli Visual Culture (Cambridge University, May 2013)
Paper topic: “‘Portals of Holiness’: Confronting Spiritual Film Aesthetics in Avishai Sivan’s The Wanderer”
- The 28th Annual Conference of the Association for Israeli Studies (Haifa University, Israel, June 2012)
Paper topic: “‘Who Can Find a Virtuous Woman?’: Feminist Judaism in Contemporary Israeli Cinema”
- The 2011 Society of Cinema and Media Studies Conference (New Orleans, Mar. 2011)
Panel topic (co-chair): “Israeli Cinema and the Challenge of Judaism”
Paper topic: “The Haredi Body in Motion: Avishai Sivan’s The Wanderer (2010)”
- The 2010 Film & History Conference (Milwaukee, Nov. 2010)
Paper topic: “Martin Luther and the Spiritual Marketplace in 1950s America”
- The 2010 Popular Culture Association National Conference (St. Louis, Mar. 2010)
Paper topic: “Small Town Upside Down: David Byrne’s True Stories (1986)”
- The 2010 Society of Cinema and Media Studies Conference (Los Angeles, Mar 2010)
Paper topic: “Negotiating Political Ambiguity in the Contemporary Israeli War Film: Joseph Cedar’s Beaufort (2007)”
- The 25th Annual Conference of the Association for Israeli Studies (Sapir College, Israel, June 2009)
Paper topic: “My Father, My Lord (2007) and the Spiritual Style”
- The 2008 Film & History Conference (Chicago, Nov. 2008)
Paper topic: “Essence of Decision: Human Voice and the War Screen in the American Nuclear War Film”
- Film, Television, and the 1950s (Plymouth State University, Plymouth NH, May 2006)
Paper topic: “The Caine Mutiny (1954) and the 1950s Crisis in American Masculinity”
- Tel Aviv Cinematheque, “Israel through the Eyes of Foreign Filmmakers” screening series (curated by Dr. Ariel Schweitzer, Tel Aviv, 1/20)
- University of Haifa, MA Program for Culture and Film Studies (Haifa, 10/18)
- Shenkar School of Engineering, Design and Art, Cultural Studies Program (Tel Aviv, 6/18)
- Tel Aviv University, Art History Department (Tel Aviv, 12/17)
- Tel Aviv University, Department of Film and Television (Tel Aviv, 4/16)
- The Open University of Israel, Department of Literature, Languages, and Arts (Ra’anana, 3/15)
- University of Illinois, Program for Comparative and World Literature (Urbana-Champaign, 10/14)
- American University, Center for Israel Studies (Washington DC, 4/14)
- Carelton University, Zelikovitz Centre for Jewish Studies (Ottawa, 3/14)
- University of Pittsburgh, Jewish Studies Program/Israel Heritage Room Committee (Pittsburgh, 12/11)
Invited Filmmaking Workshops
- Asian Academy of Film &Television (Delhi, 4/15)
- Film and Television Institute of India (Pune, 3/15)
- Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute (Calcutta, 3/15)
- Delta Kappa Alpha Film Fraternity, George Mason University (Fairfax VA, 4/14)
Fellowships, Honors, Residencies
- Andrew W. Mellon Predoctoral Fellowship (2013/2014): School of Arts and Sciences, University of Pittsburgh.
- Memorial Foundation for Jewish Culture Doctoral Scholarship (2013/2014)
- Schusterman Residency Program at American University (Spring 2014): Schusterman Family Foundation (CLSFF) and the Israel Institute.
- TSOA/Cinema Studies M.A. Fellowship (2005, 2006): NYU, Tisch School of the Arts.
- Memorial Scholarship (2004, 2005): Tel Aviv University, Arts Faculty.
- Dean’s List (2004, 2005): Tel Aviv University, Arts Faculty.
- Filmmaking Encouragement Scholarship (2003): America-Israel Cultural Foundation.
- Teaching Fellow, Tel Aviv University, Steve Tisch School of Film and Television (2012-)
Class: World Film History, The Spiritual in Film Aesthetics, The Western, Film Programming between Theory and Practice.
- Teaching Fellow, University of Haifa, MA Program for Culture and Film Studies (2017-)
Class: Film Culture Forum
- Visiting Lecturer, The Open University of Israel, Department of Literature, Languages, and Arts (2012-)
Classes: Understanding Film, Israeli Cinema at the Turn of the Millennium, Israeli Cinema: East/West and the Politics of Representation
- Visiting Lecturer, Minshar School of the Arts, Film Department (2017-2019)
Class: Theory for Filmmakers
- Visiting Professor, American University, Center for Israel Studies (Spring 2014)
Class: Israeli Identities through Film
- Teaching Assistant, Sapir Academic College, School of Audio and Visual Arts (2013-2014)
Class: Film Theories 2
- Teaching Fellow, University of Pittsburgh, Department of English/Film Studies Program (2009-2011)
Classes: Seminar in Composition, Seminar in Composition: Film, and Introduction to Film.
- Teaching Assistant, Tel Aviv University, Film and TV Department (2004)
Class: Advanced Film Directing.
- Contributing Editor, Tisch Film Review (2007)
- Head of Guest Department, 12th International Tel Aviv Student Film Festival (2007-2008)
- Production Intern, This is That Film Corp. (2007)
- Script Development Intern, Greenestreet Films (2006)
- VIP Coordinator, 10th International Tel Aviv Student Film Festival (2003-2004)
- English, Hebrew (fluent); Arabic, French (proficient knowledge).